Living life as a pilot's wife, with our "herd" of 3 horses, 5 cats, 5 dogs, and 1 guina pig!



Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mergers...Airlines...and where to live....


I found this picture and thought it was hilarious!
So of course now that John is almost (he still has to get released from his neurosurgeon) ready to go back to work...SURPRISE it's merger time with XJT and ASA (in all fairness not a super big surprise to those in the know). Since I had, thankfully, convinced John to based trade to ORD (promising him he could get an Ipad as a reward) he will at least be able to hold a line and hopefully fly ALOT before they merger the seniority lists.
Since he's going to fly as much as possible once he goes back, this begs the question of...(since both our parents live there) should I go back with him for a while...about 8 months or so. At first it would seem like a good idea, I would actually get to see him, though with as much as he's going to be flying..it still wouldn't be a lot. I would be closer to my parents and a few of my friends that still live there.......However our entire herd cannot stay at my parents (they have an apartment) and while we could probably stay at John's in the basement..fully furnished walk out basement...I'm not sure that would be the best choice either.....and with either choice we would have to board the horse....thats some money...boarding 3 horses in Chicago area...eeek. Plus I would have to try and find at least a part time job, well I wouldn't have to but I would want to.
So then that bring us to me staying here.....well I won't see John much maybe twice a month, which sucks! But I also am pretty sure I could have a part time job here, and I have quite a few friends here as well. Plus we wouldn't have to pay to board the horses because they live here! I am hopeful that my mom will come stay out here with me for a few weeks that would be fun, plus she could animal sit so I could go see John!
Either way it's a crappy deal. Stay here and don't see him, but have job and friends and horses or go to ORD and not see him alot, no job, but family and friends and pay for horses. It's going to stink for a while no matter how you spin it....
Welcome to the wonderful world of airline mergers....and this one hasn't hardly started yet!!!

3 comments:

Amy and Derek said...

COME TO CHICAGO AND SEE US!!! :) That's my vote at least. You know you're going to be here all the time anyway which means a job is kinda out of the question. I'm sure we could find somewhere to stick those horses!

parsons.jenr said...

COME TO WV, too! You can bring your ponies with - we have some pasture and hay! And an extra room...

And interesting neighbors! :)

Christy said...

We have interesting neighbors here! But yes I am going to be in Chicago more because bascially John is going to live there until the merger finally goes through, and if I end up working the same place I did before we got a week off for Christmas! We all need to go drink!